Higgins Park

Nelson Vintage Engine
& Machinery Club Inc

Contact

Allan 027 3198641 (Sec)

 

Meetings

Meetings held at 7.30pm every 2nd Wednesday of the month in the Library building at Higgins Park.

The NVEMC has a large collection of both wheeled and crawler tractors, agriculture and haymaking equipment, and other items used in farming and industry.

The club own a number of the tractors, some are on loan, others are owned by club members who keep them on site for showing. Some of the more unusual items on show include a giant single furrow plough used for ploughing scrub under, one of the first post drivers made, and an old stationary hay baler which is still used on show days.

 

Also attached to the Nelson Vintage Engine & Machinery Club Inc are:

The Rural Life Museum

The Rural Life Museum displays early household appliances, cooking utensils and items used in food preperation, also sewing machines, washing machines and other items used in the home. Also on display are hand tools used for all types of work. A manual telephone exchange and a small blacksmith shop are also in this building.

 

Small Engine Shed

This museum contains a comprehensive display of stationary motors dating from the early 1900s. These motors were used for powering a wide range of machinery before electricity was available. The oldest motor on display is a 1908 IHC Victor. Also in the display are generating plants which were widely used in rural areas before electricity was taken out into the country.